1. Call for written comments on the current policy
The Community Participation Group (CPG) of the ACT Community Services Directorate is calling for community input via the template downloadable from http://actbilingual.weebly.com/uploads/4/4/9/1/4491774/template_for_community_input.docx
You will see that the template covers 5 key areas of the policy:
- English as the National Language,
- Language Services,
- Learning other Languages,
- Languages and Economic Benefit and
- Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Languages.
In relation to one or more of these areas, you may like to
- list your own activities, whether assisted by government or other organisations/groups
- comment on the policy's aims and government implementation
- suggest new ideas or ways to strengthen the policy
Please return responses to firstname.lastname@example.org by cob Friday 22 July.
2. Public forums
You are invited to attend one of two public forums to 1) hear reports on the community responses collected through the exercise above, plus responses from a similar template sent to ACT Government Directorates and 2) discuss the issues raised and provide further comments on the achievements of the current policy and ideas for new actions/priorities. Details of the forums:
- Tuesday 9 August 6.30pm to 8.30pm, Function Room, 2nd Floor, Theo Notaras Multicultural Centre or
- Saturday 13 August 1.30pm to 4pm at the Australian National University
Attendance is free, and refreshments will be available
To register for one of the forums (RSVP by Friday 5 August) or for more details of the ANU venue, please contact Lindsay Burge, Senior Policy and Projects Officer, CPG at Lindsay.Burge@act.gov.au or Mandy at email@example.com
Discussion at these forums, plus the previous written comments, will help guide the review process and provide input for the Directorate's recommendations to government on the form and content of the Languages Policy 2016-2020.